A Tenderfoot's Foodventures

A beginner's adventures in cooking

Thursday, August 11, 2005



'HIGH' ON COFFEE


When I was a kid, I remember other people saying that drinking coffee stunts your growth so I tried to avoid it as often as I could when I was younger. The only time someone could make me ingest coffee was if they dunked pandesal with butter filling in it.

When I got around to college however, Starbucks was becoming the new "in" thing with co-eds at the time, and because I didn't want to be left-out---that and the fact that we had to stay up 'til morning at times just to get a school requirement done---I started drinking coffee (albeit in small gulps) and I slowly but surely got hooked on it.

Now, I can say that I'm a true blue coffee fan. My college friends' favorite hang-out, as a matter of fact, happens to be a place that serves bottomless brewed coffee. With that said, I'm very happy that my first experience in joining a food blog event involves an ingredient that totally enthuses me: coffee.

SHF, short for Sugar High Fridays, is a food blogging event which features dessert creations by food bloggers all over the world that uses a common theme/ingredient each month. I actually first came across SHF through Stef. When I posted in the Pinoy Food Talk Forum that I've always wanted to join IMBB (Is My Blog Burning), another popular food blogging event, she encouraged me to join in the fun and told me of the current theme for SHF. Well I must say it couldn't have come at a better time because my parents went to Baguio last weekend and brought home with them lots of products that is hard to find anywhere else, and I think now is the perfect time to put them to good use.

Well the recipe I came up with is pretty basic. It's a simple drink with an atttempt to add in a few twists. I'm not even sure if it'll qualify since it's only beverage.

This creation was actually inspired by Sentro, one of the more unique Filipino restaurants here in the Philippines. They serve this sago and gulaman drink that makes use of panutsa as sweetener (I actually found out that bit of info thanks to Sallygirl from the Pinoy Food Talk Forum).

Well one of my favorite sweets to munch on happens to be panutsa with whole peanuts (commonly sold at Antipolo and Tagaytay). Baguio's Romana Peanut Brittle is actually a lot similar to panutsa with whole peanuts except that the sweetness and texture is more in tune with regular peanut brittle, so I thought I could use the Peanut Brittle as sweetener for the coffee. I originally wanted to use the Romana Peanut Brittle since I prefered how it tastes over the more common peanut brittle (the more common peanut brittle has small chopped/grinded nuts as opposed to whole nuts as Romana uses). However, by the time I was ready to experiment, the Romana was all gone and I ended up using regular peanut brittle which I think worked out better than expected.

The extra nuttiness from the chopped nuts compliments the liquid much better because it doesn't become too big an obstacle that chokes you or hinders you from drinking a lot of the coffee, but at the same time, it achieves its purpose of creating that extra bite that makes drinking the coffee much more enjoyable. The Chocolate Flakes (kind of similar to the texture of cereal covered with chocolate, also from Baguio) that I liberally sprinkled on top of the coffee gave it an extra kick as well, and the chocolate wafer stick melting into the hot coffee just tops of this successful invention.

I served the coffee with a small plate of Butter Oats (cookies that also came from Baguio).



P.B. & Jeyc's Coffee

Ingredients:
1/4 cup peanut brittle*
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 - 2 cups coffee
1 tbsp. non-fat milk (optional)
chocolate flakes
chocolate wafer stick**

Procedure:
In a sauce pan, melt the peanut brittle in water over medium-high heat. Once melted, pour in the coffee immediately.*** Add non-fat milk or creamer if you wish and bring to a simmer. Then turn off the heat, let cool for a few minutes then pour into a mug. Sprinkle a good amount of chocolate flakes on top and put a stick of chocolate wafer in. Serve immediately.



Tenderfoot's Notes:
*There are different kinds and brands of peanut brittle, and it is important that you like the taste of the one you use because it's pretty much how your coffee's sweetness will be.
**I originally wanted to use a cinammon stick, but we didn't have any. Anyway it all worked out. The chocolate wafer stick just made this drink all the more sweet! By the way, when drinking the coffee, you can choose to pull out the wafer stick and munch on it, or you can just leave it to melt in the coffee. It tastes good either way, 'cept that it's not much too look at when you see the soggy stick floating in the coffee. If you're not bothered too much by the appearance however, it tastes really good when melted.
***It is important that there aren't any lumps of sugar before you pour in the coffee, but it's also important that you pour in the coffee immediately once the peanut brittle is melted because the peanut pieces tend to get smaller when you leave it on top of the heat for too long. Also, if you want the coffee less or more sweet just put less or more coffee in.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Welcome to SHF! I'm so glad you participated. These look and sound absolultely delicious!

10:04 PM  
Blogger ChichaJo said...

Mmmm...coffee and peanut brittle, interesting and yummy-sounding combination! I cannot live without coffee and love it in many, many forms...I also used to dunk pan de sal in it :-)

10:50 PM  
Blogger jeyc14 said...

jennnifer - thanks for the warm welcome! :)

chichajo - try it some time when you get your hands on some peanut brittle. :) They're hard to come by these days though unless you're in Baguio. :)

11:14 AM  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Interesting about the peanut brittle. I never would have thought it would go with coffee. Great stuff and hope to see you in IMBB and SHF.

11:49 AM  
Blogger grace said...

Ohhh.. this is great! I'm a coffeeholic, I admit.. its just a great way of starting my day!

7:15 PM  
Blogger First Chef said...

Hi jeyc14,

Iv'e been reading alot in the last few days,
looking for content ;-)
I loved your post called " this post ".

I'm looking for good content like that,
it's for an article site called http://www.letscooktogether.net .
So far I have quite a good site built :-D

LOTS of info about food and cooking etc.
Articles on everything food related!!
For example... low fat cooking ,
just to name one.
Stop by when you can!!
Maybe we can talk about swapping some content 8-)

Thanks again!!
Brad.

7:29 PM  
Blogger SD said...

stream movies online free

stream movies

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home